Titans Radio Fanzone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TitansRadio.Com  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jonathan Hutton

Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions   Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions EmptyTue May 06, 2008 11:48 pm

I'm going to do a few things different this season, hoping to add a bit more info to TitansRadio.Com for you, the listener and fan. Periodically I'll give you my thoughts from practices leading up to the season and let you know who looks good/bad, etc.

If you have questions you'd like me to answer, feel free to email me anytime at jhutton@titansradio.com.

After seeing Stevens in practice, he reminded me A LOT of Ben Hartsock in size (weighs the exact same on the official roster sheet), although Stevens is a bit taller. He can block -- there is no doubt about it -- and I haven't even seen him in pads.

However when scout Phil Neri told me his upside was in the receiving game, I think he meant this:

Stevens has the potential to be the total package -- a complete threat like Frank Wycheck was for so many seasons. Not much can be learned about a player during rookie's first practice session where he has a coach -- not a QB -- throwing him the ball. But I only remember seeing Stevens catch one ball all day long. He fights the ball -- the ball plays him.

Those are only initial impressions. As for the overall player, the Titans made a great pick in grabbing Craig Stevens in my opinion. He is definitely a long-term option for the franchise.

Why 4 tight ends? Consider this.

Bo Scaife was restricted this offseason, and barring a deal anytime soon he'll be unrestricted next offseason. As will Dwayne Blakely.
Alge Crumpler signed only a 2 year deal.

Stevens offers the Titans great insurance if Scaife bolts for another city and if Blakely doesn't pan out. It's a great long-term selection with the 85th pick in the 3rd round. Now you don't have to necessarily draft a tight end next year -- and your new TE will have a season under his belt with knowledge from one of the best in the game [Crumpler] and a guy who knows what VY likes in a receiver [Scaife].
Back to top Go down
http://www.titansradio.com
Titanpride

PostSubject: Re: Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions   Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions EmptyWed May 07, 2008 12:32 am

Jonathan Hutton wrote:
I'm going to do a few things different this season, hoping to add a bit more info to TitansRadio.Com for you, the listener and fan. Periodically I'll give you my thoughts from practices leading up to the season and let you know who looks good/bad, etc.
Great idea. Stevens was the right pick at the right time. He'll add to Young's development. With Johnson projected to loosen up the secondary, Stevens blocking skills will give Young the added time he didn't necessarily have last year to process the defense a little quicker... just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
brianmaxwell

PostSubject: Re: Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions   Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions EmptyWed May 07, 2008 10:10 am

I couldn't agree more. The more I research this kid, the more I love this pick. He looks to be a solid TE for many years to come and his hands should come along. I love our offensive line and a great blocking TE is an extension of the O-Line. I was somewhat surprised to find out 95% of Titan fans are more excited about LaVelle Hawkins.
Back to top Go down
Titanpride

PostSubject: Re: Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions   Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions EmptyThu May 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Stevens has H-Back written all over him
Back to top Go down
brianmaxwell

PostSubject: Re: Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions   Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions EmptyThu May 08, 2008 6:27 pm

Stevens has a lot of intangibles that you just can't teach. The kid has the right attitude and is an extremely hard worker who is always looking to impose his will on another player. He is tough as nails and this is exactly the kind of guys I want on my team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions   Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions Empty

Back to top Go down

Craig Stevens -- Initial Impressions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Titans Radio Fanzone :: Tennessee Titans Football :: The Latest Titans News & Views-
Jump to: